Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Introducing Betsy (wonderland5)


It's time to meet another team member: Betsy from wonderland5. An Etsy member since April 2006, Betsy features felt owls and swaddled babies, purses, pouches, aprons and baby gifts in her Etsy shop.


About Her Craft:

What are your favorite materials to use in your crafts?
I love felt and fabric of all kinds!

Where do you find your inspiration?
Right now I am really inspired by children's books from the sixties and seventies.


All About Her Work:

Describe your Etsy experience (as a buyer and/or seller).
It really seems like Etsy is one of those things where you really get out what you put into it. I have had a really great experience as a seller even though I have not sold very much. I really like that I can work on my shop when I have the chance but when I am totally swamped in other areas, I can let it slide a little and not feel too bad about it.

Do you work another job in addition to Etsy? If so, what is it?
I am a stay at home mom to two small children: Jack who is 2 and a half and Anna who is 6 months. The pay is lousy and the hours are terrible but I can't think of any other jobs I have had where I got to sing and dance and tickle my co-workers like I can these kids. So I guess I keep going with this gig for awhile.

How do you balance Etsy with other commitments?
It can be really hard because I find myself always underestimating how much time something will take--taking photos and writing and posting listings for example. But I have just found that it works best when I can break the tasks down to smaller parts and do a little bit when I have a minute.

Of Local Interest:

What’s the best thing about living in the Asheville area?
The weather! I grew up in Ohio and it is grey and cold in the winter and grey and hot in the summer--I love the blue skies here!

If someone is visiting the area, what is the one thing that they must see or do before they leave?
Eat at Early Girl on Wall Street. And go see my husband's photographs at the Woolworth Walk (shameless self-promotion)!
What is your favorite off-the-beaten path place or activity in Asheville?
Craft-on night at Cloth Fiber Workshop in Biltmore Village--second Monday of every month from 6-9. It's a varied cast of characters working on their own projects and chatting.

Random Betsy Facts:

What quote do you find yourself saying most often?
"Don't make more work for mommy" (the number one rule in our house)

What was the last book you read? Did you like it?
This summer I have been really into reading novels about famous women in history including Anne Boleyn, Marie Antoinette, Queen Elizabeth 1. I just finished a trilogy by Sandra Gulland about Josephine Bonaparte that I found really gripping.

To see more Betsy's fantastic work, check out her Etsy shop, wonderland5.

1 comment:

liz said...

great interview, betsy!

i love your adorable shop. and remind me about the church of craft night - i'd love to get out to one!

keep up the awesome craftin'!