Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Introducing Oakmother's Papers of Intent




[photos by Stefanie of Oakmother's Papers of Intent]

Another Tuesday has rolled around which means it's time for another member profile! This week we're delighted to meet Stefanie of Oakmother's Papers of Intent.


Living the Etsy Life:

How long have you been selling on Etsy?
Since December 2008.

What types of items do you sell in your shop?
Handmade paper art, and Papers of Intent - special papers made for prayers, rituals, wishes, and affirmations.

How long have you been making items that you sell on Etsy?
I've been a papermaker for about 10 years now. I love the versatility of the medium - pulp paintings, books, lampshades, stationery, castings - my list of ideas is endless!

Are there other places outside of Etsy where you sell your work?
Pura Vida, Crystal Visions, and local classes and workshops.


Creative Endeavors:

What are your favorite materials to use in your crafts?
I like to use recycled paper, cotton, abaca, and herbs. Recycling paper gives the added satisfaction of taking something old and making something new from it - it feels like truly crafting from scratch.

Where do you find your inspiration?
Over the years I have been inspired by my love and concern for our natural environment. Lately, papermaking is part of my spiritual practice. The items you see on my Etsy site are a direct result of my recent meditations. Papermaking is a very cleansing act - taking "trash" and changing it into a useful item, washing away worries and starting with a clean slate, putting my energy into the intention that the paper represents.

How do you balance Etsy with other commitments?
I spend about 5-6 hours per week on Etsy and my products. Most weeks I have 1-2 hours to make paper, and then spend the rest of the time reading about improving my products and my shop, creating packaging, filling orders, etc. I have a family and work a full time job in addition to my craft, so mostly my "paper" work is done after the family is in bed.


Of Local Interest:

What's the best thing about living in the Asheville area?
The creative energy and support of the community, the progressive attitude of the region, and the mountains.

What's your vote for best place(s) to eat in Asheville?
The Chocolate Lounge (dessert first!), The Green Sage, Lorettas....

If you had to move away from the area, what would you miss the most about it?
Been there and done that. Thrift stores, Amazing Savings, the rich music scene, and WNCW.


Random & Fun:

What quote do you find yourself saying most often?
"It is what it is."

What are your non-crafting hobbies?
Camping, learning about edible and medicinal wild plants, gardening, mothering, catching up with old friends.

No comments: